Kew Gardens Expired
To deliver Kew’s mission by accelerating global access to baseline biodiversity information, through contribution to the Digitisation Project. The post holder will be part of a large team dedicated to the digitisation of the Herbarium and Fungarium specimens at Kew. The Data Manager will clean and migrate specimen records into Kew’s Collection Management system(s).
- Clean and import specimen records into Kew’s specimen management systems in an effective and efficient manner, to ensure these data are widely accessible with minimal delay and can be effectively maintained and meet Kew standards
- Maintain accurate records of working including traceability of specimen batches within the digitisation workflow and progress reports.
- Assist with the development and documentation of data cleaning and data import workflows.
- Prepare data needed for specimen transcription and liaise with IT and Science development team as necessary to ensure digitisation software systems run efficiently
- Contributing to the collections department by assisting the Research Leader in Digital Collections and the Digitisation Operations manager with other project-related tasks as necessary and participating in project team meetings, to ensure effective team-working
- Educated in a related discipline to degree level or equivalent work experience
- Excellent IT Skills, knowledge of MS Office software especially Access and Excel
- Experience of preparing written reports and protocols
- Experience in the creation of complex digital datasets with appropriate technical skills for efficient and accurate
- manipulation and transfer of data.
- A competent understanding of taxonomy, nomenclature and geography.
- Experience in the administration and manipulation of datasets, including transfer of data between database systems,
- including experience working with international standards relevant to the exchange of biodiversity data.
- Experience of cleaning specimen records
- Experience of managing digital collections
- Experience of using Data Cleaning Tools and methodologies
- Skills in generating complex queries of large datasets
- Must be a proactive communicator, able to establish good relationships with other team members and communicate with clarity and confidence face-to face, by phone, and email. The post-holder will work closely with colleagues in the same or similar posts, sharing experiences and knowledge.
- Time management and prioritisation, record keeping skills, organisation of documents and data.
- Very strong attention to detail and accuracy, especially with regard to data cleaning
- Able to pick up new software rapidly and document its correct use in the context of the project.
- Strongly self-motivated, able to work independently in a target driven environment and adapt working schedules
- Able to provide representation of Kew to project stakeholders and other visitors in a positive and engaging manner.
- Familiarity with data transfer methods including XML, Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A)
- Advanced computer skills including knowledge of SQL and VBA
- Experience of working efficiently in a large team with many stakeholders
- Experience of cleaning specimen collection data