Media Workflow Engineer, Fitness+
Culver City, CA, USA
Apple Fitness+ is seeking an experienced engineer to work primarily on our media production workflow. Anchored by a Production Asset Management system, the pipeline relies on software integrations with both internally and externally developed tools for live multi-camera video capture; metadata tracking and packaging; media editorial; content review and approval; high volume file-based delivery; and other services.
We are seeking an engineer to join the Fitness+ Engineering Team, which provides support to the production, post-production, and operations groups. The candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to navigate a highly optimized and specialized media production environment where priorities may shift daily. Organized project management is a key skillset for this position as projects range from immediate to months-long.
This position requires a deep understanding of media asset management pipelines as deployed in a high volume multi-camera “live to tape” production environment. This includes understanding, troubleshooting, and evolving the complex nature of the numerous software and hardware integrations in the pipeline ranging from real time capture of the studio feed to content editorial, mastering, and delivery.
The Media Workflow Engineer will work closely with the post production team, software EPM, production end users, and multi-functional partners to support our digital supply chain from ingest to delivery. They will be encouraged to work alongside with the Engineering team as they develop and support Fitness+ technical operations and the facility at large.
This engineer reports to the Head of Studio Production and works closely with technical strategy lead.
- 5+ years engineering experience on high resolution, enterprise-level end-to-end post-production workflows which include video, audio, and metadata editorial; review and approval workflows; and final asset delivery to downstream partners.
- Deep knowledge of the Media Asset Management (MAM/PAM/DAM) industry landscape commensurate with the experience of supporting multiple successful asset management system deployment/integration projects.
- Strong systems engineering experience: macOS, Windows, Linux, VM, and cloud compute.
- Strong experience with agile software development life cycle (SDLC), including leading deployment, upgrade, reversion, and change management procedures.
- Clear communication style and strong experience working directly with hardware and software vendors to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve urgent issues affecting critical workflows, such as real time capture and/or playout; ingest/transcoding; SAN/NAS performance; or network performance. Comfortable pursuing escalation and holding cross-functional partners accountable, including pursuing the enforcement of SLAs as needed.
BA/BS degree preferred and/or 5+ years of relevant industry experience in media asset management, media processing, and partner technology integrations.
- Expertise in troubleshooting media processing across multiple concurrent systems required. Experience administrating BPM or similar workflow automation preferred. Ability to design system workflows (or architect entire end-to-end solutions) highly preferred.
- Expertise authoring and troubleshooting XML/JSON required.
- Ability to understand and solve API integrations required. Expertise in authoring “glue-ware” tools (eg. integrating pipeline applications via scripts or recognized programming language) preferred. Python, SQL experience preferred.
- DevOps experience incorporating continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) via microservices preferred.
- Experience as a Live Studio Support Engineer and/or Maintenance Engineer preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with IP and baseband technology principles, broadcast technologies design, deployment, and support preferred.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.