Design Manager, Visual Branding
Stamford, CT, USA
The Design Manager is responsible for strategically and tactically leading, managing, and supporting “best-in-class” brand identity and package design for assigned brands. This includes innovation/concepts, restage, line extension, display, comps, sales samples, and brand-world assets. The role requires active design leadership, project management and collaboration throughout the design process from objectives and brief through print and in-market results. The individual leads and supports design projects and interfaces with cross-functions, design resources and suppliers.
- Lead and direct the visual expression of branded packaging graphics. Work with internal and external partners to develop objectives-driven design solutions that connect with consumers, build brands, and drive positive business results.
- Actively envision and drive solutions while energizing and enabling resources.
- Present ‘win-at-shelf’ solutions using best practice design management and strategic design leadership skills.
- Scope includes primary and secondary packaging for new and existing products and promotional items for multiple channels.
- Balance, coordinate and optimize input from: Visual Branding, Marketing, functional groups, customers, consumers, agencies, and suppliers, while driving effective solutions.
- Maintain projects and assets in digital workflow, approval, and asset management tools.
- Manage assigned projects to meet deadlines.
- Contribute to and apply brand strategy and consumer market research.
- Stay abreast of developments and trends in design and packaging. Identify and leverage opportunities for application and innovation.
- Understand and leverage internal and external manufacturing and print processes and limitations.
- Continually optimize and plan projects and artwork to maximize and achieve cost efficiencies and saving.
- BS or BA in Graphic Design, Package Design, or Industrial Design.
- 5+ years related professional design and project management experience.
- Collaborative team member who wants to contribute, learn, and grow as part of an exciting department and organization.
- A passion for design, creative problem solving and connecting brands and packaging with consumers.
- Experience with the: laundry, cleaning, home and/or beauty categories and/or retail brands a plus.
- Strategic, analytic, and creative mindset and skills.
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills. Broad marketing/business understanding.
- Ability to successfully lead and art direct multiple projects with outside resources and suppliers while managing costs and deadlines.
- Working/practical knowledge of packaging, manufacturing and print processes and limitations.
- Familiarity/proficiency with design and office software, artwork workflow and approval systems, and DAM images and systems