Thursday October 5th - Thursday October 12th, 2023
£216 - 336
Online, Two Part Course
Thursday 5th October 2023 and
Thursday 12th October 2023
This course will explore the crucial role of copyright licensing in library, and information settings.
It will provide all the essential information delegates need to know about the key licences they are likely to encounter, such as the CLA Licence, NLA Media Licence, ERA+, PRS/PPL as well as eBook licences and licensed accessed to online resources. The course will also look at open access licensing and Creative Commons.
Using case studies, scenarios and real examples, this course will provide an engaged forum for discussion about terms and conditions and current issues. This two-part course is perfect for anyone who needs to know more about copyright licences and how they work in practice.
It is designed for staff working across all library, information and knowledge sectors and is suitable for newcomers and those who need a refresher on how to manage copyright licences and comply with open licensing requirements from funders.
Delegates need to attend both AM sessions to complete the course.
"Focused, detailed and clear information given by a highly knowledgeable, confident and informed presenter. Really useful and has given me a really sound understanding of creative commons licensing."
(Working with Creative Commons Licences delegate, July 2021)
Trainer: Naomi Korn, CEO and Founder, Naomi Korn Associates
- Identify the basic principles of copyright ownership and licensing
- Define key licences used in your context, such as CLA, NLA Media Access PRS/PPL and ERA
- Distinguish between open access, open licensing and Creative Commons licensing
- Define the types of Creative Commons licences
- Identify the main advantages and disadvantages of using Creative Commons
- Describe how to make content available under a Creative Commons licence
- Discuss challenges and issues associated with eBook Licences
- Plan licence negotiating techniques
- Gain inspiration from case studies
- Cite additional licensing help resources
This course supports the following area of the PKSB:
4.3 Copyright, intellectual property and licensing
Venue: Online using Zoom
The course is hosted through Naomi Korn Associate's online video conference system. This software is optimal for audience participation and provides free, accessible and remote access. Delegates will be sent details of the Zoom link as part of their joining instructions.
A Naomi Korn Associates Training event, in partnership with CILIP