Head, Metadata and Processing
University of Ottawa Expired
The University of Ottawa Library seeks an innovative, motivated and service-oriented Head, Metadata and Processing. The successful candidate will be a creative individual who works well with other colleagues in a challenging and changing environment.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian (AUL), Content and Access, the Head, Metadata and Processing is responsible for both managerial and functional activities that take place within their department. In addition to these responsibilities, the incumbent is a member of the Library Management Team. The Head is responsible for building and maintaining relationships within and between divisions. The Head also ensures Library representation on appropriate internal and external bodies and in key library associations.
The Head leads and supervises a team responsible for developing and implementing workflows, projects, and services relating to metadata and resource description. This position is also responsible for establishing and monitoring any associated standards, policies, and procedures.
A key strategic focus of this position is exploiting web-based technologies, such as linked data and cloud-based, structured metadata services to provide rich discovery and timely access to the Library’s collections and to external resources, in a highly collaborative environment. Closely related to this is the implementation of metadata schemes/ontologies to develop new pathways to knowledge discovery. The Head maintains current awareness of the future of bibliographic control.
The Head ensures timely communication and consultation with other areas of the Library on issues relating to metadata and resource description. The incumbent also works closely with the other Heads in the Content and Access division to ensure discoverability of the Library’s collections through resource description and metadata, and coordination with peer institutions in developing related services and practices.
The Head is a member of the Management Group and works collectively with other members to:
- Provide input to the AULs on strategic planning processes and operationalize strategic plans
- Collaborate with other LMT members to meet Library-wide objectives and coordinate cross-departmental workflows to avoid gaps and overlaps
- Develop and recommend creative solutions through policy changes, resource allocation, and new initiatives
- Interpret and communicate Library direction, decisions, and impacts as appropriate
- Explore new ways of achieving the Library's goals by, for example, challenging legacy practices
- Education: A Master's degree in Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from an ALA accredited institution or equivalent.
- Work experience:
- At least 5 years of professional experience, or fewer if the experience is particularly pertinent to the position.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in both French and English.
- Experience in human resources management and administration.
- Experience in the application of principles and practices of resource description and metadata standards and schema.
- Thorough understanding of the semantic web, linked data, authorities, and other metadata-based forms of resource discovery; and knowledge of related services and tools.
- Ability to leverage partnerships and collaborative initiatives at the provincial, national, and international levels.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders; as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly collaborative, flexible, and collegial, with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience planning and implementing innovative projects and services that respond to user needs.
- Ability to engage, empower, and motivate, with a demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective change management strategies.