In this article, Mac Slocum outlines why metadata is so vital to the user experience in his critique of the popular ‘ShowYou’ iPad video app.
“The area where metadata is most important, however, is video. That content is locked within formats that are generally inaccessible to search spiders and aggregation bots. There’s no way to know about the insightful perspective captured at a clip’s 2-minute mark or the funny pratfall 45 seconds in. Left unaddressed, most video clips have the discovery prowess of a “DSC0000.jpg” file. That’s why a random video still and a vague title won’t cut it. We need metadata to extract the value and explain why a clip is worth viewing.” [Read More]
- Can Enterprise Taxonomy Management Survive Analyst Reticence - And Does Anyone Else Care Anyway?
- The Role Of Taxonomy Governance In DAM Interoperability Initiatives
- Google's Visual Case Study Of The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata
- The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata Generation
- Understanding And Implementing Metadata Standards In Digital Asset Management Initiatives