An article by Jim Kidwell on the Extensis blog discusses five tips for setting up an organised folder structure for those DAMs that use this metaphor:
- Understand the consequences of spaces and underscores at the beginning of folder names.
- Use folders as a way of applying keyword.
- Avoid ambiguous and potentially redundant folders.
- Create a “template” of empty subfolders.
- Consider replacing extremely disorganised folder structures.
If you are still using a shared drive approach to DAM (either out of choice or necessity), the tips are equally valid.
- The Role Of Taxonomy Governance In DAM Interoperability Initiatives
- Google's Visual Case Study Of The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata
- The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata Generation
- Understanding And Implementing Metadata Standards In Digital Asset Management Initiatives
- Metadata Maturity Models - DAM Innovation Strategies Start Here