Writing on the Zylab blog, Johannes Scholtes offers 6 practical tips for designing taxonomies. As Johannes points out in the introduction:
“…the role of taxonomy is becoming increasingly important to the complete search experience as well as the automatic classification of documents in various applications.” [Read More]
The tips include:
- Use a Dynamic Taxonomy.
- Use fundamental facets.
- Find logical hierarchical relations.
- Apply a number of known and proven principles to build up the facets.
- Be aware that taxonomies need to be maintained.
- Make sure to test your taxonomy on your user community to make sure it is truly practical.
- Metadata Automation Webinar Recording From New Jersey DAM Meetup Group
- Can Enterprise Taxonomy Management Survive Analyst Reticence - And Does Anyone Else Care Anyway?
- The Role Of Taxonomy Governance In DAM Interoperability Initiatives
- Google's Visual Case Study Of The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata
- The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata Generation