Strongly Attached Metadata with Semantic Namespaces (SAMSN) is an initiative to standardise metadata frameworks and use embedded metadata standards like XMP to more closely link metadata back to an original asset in the same manner as barcodes do for physical goods.
Gunar Penekis is a leading advocate of SAMSN and explains the basics in his blog:
SAMSN is about establishing a foundational platform for enabling the media management industry to get to the next level of efficiency, interoperability and in general adding overall value to the integrating system(s). I believe there is an opportunity for optimizing digital supply chains through the use of metadata in a similar fashion to how the barcode revolutionized the retail and physical supply chains.
- Can Enterprise Taxonomy Management Survive Analyst Reticence - And Does Anyone Else Care Anyway?
- The Role Of Taxonomy Governance In DAM Interoperability Initiatives
- Google's Visual Case Study Of The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata
- The Perils And Politics Of Automated Metadata Generation
- Understanding And Implementing Metadata Standards In Digital Asset Management Initiatives